We are currently accepting applications for the spring 2017 semester of Foundations of Leadership.
Foundations of Leadership is a dynamic course focused on the experiences of students of color. Eligible students are those who will be in grades 9-10 at any Madison Metropolitan School District high school by September 2016 and who show leadership talent.
“I am a Leader because I am intelligent. I am passionate and I have good intentions. When I put my mind to it my voice can be heard.” – Naomi, 10th grade, currently enrolled in Foundation of Leadership
The course seeks to foster in students a better understanding of themselves and their capacity for leadership and to empower youth to become active partners in the collective success of the individual and the community with an emphasis on racial justice, LGBTQ issues and social justice. The successful completion of this course will equip youth with the skills necessary to act as driven student leaders with the ability to create and sustain a safe and just learning environment.
Students can nominate themselves or be nominated by a youth peer, parent/family member, or school staff. The application deadline for the 2017 spring semester is January 10th. There are 15+ openings for the 2nd semester course. Students can nominate themselves or be nominated by someone one of their peers, a family member, or school staff.
You can submit your nomination here.
Additional course details
- Students meet year-round on Mondays, from 3:15-4:45pm.
- Students are transported to class at the UW Red Gym, and then transported home after class.
- Students receive Advanced Learning credit for their participation in the course.
If you have questions about Foundations of Leadership, you can call Ali or Sawyer at the GSAFE office at (608)661-4141.
Check out this great video of FOL students responding to the question, “What makes a leader?”
Incoming search terms:
- foundations of leadership
- foundation of leadership
- foundation of good leadership
- foundation for leading training
- what are foundations for develop in leadership?
- the oundation of leadership
- foundations youth leadership
- foundations of leadership wi
- Foundations for leadership success
- what skills are the foundation of leadership